Ikea Abstract Kitchen (white high gloss)

Hello.  Thought I would share a few photos of our finished Ikea Abstract white high gloss kitchen from the last renovation my client did.  I had posted some during the renovation process but those are always such a mess with tools...and um...a few beer and wine bottles...and maybe some restaurant take out.  None of it's mine though...honest;)

Ikea abstract white high gloss kitchen.  Benjamin moore cloud white

We obviously used Ikea abstract white high gloss cabinets.  The uppers were the extra tall cabinets.  Counters are white quartz.  Back splash is calacatta marble bullets from Saltillo Tile.  Wall paint is Benjamin Moore Cloud white.  The faucet is Uberhaus brand from Rona.  Appliances are Kitchen Aid.  (I'm loving these double oven ranges.  I think they are perfect for places where there are space or budget restrictions).  The floating shelves are from Home Depot.  The hardware is from Ikea and are the Blankett handles. 

ikea abstract white high gloss kitchen.  Benjamin moore cloud white

Speaking of hardware...here are a few tidbits I learned during this renovation and kitchen planning process. First, you can see in some of these pictures there is a small 12" base cabinet on the left side of the stove.  It is a basic cabinet with a door.  I had no choice but to use it there as a corner cabinet would not fit and there were no 12" base cabinets with drawers.  So FYI for anyone looking to use Blankett handles, they don't make a 12" handle to fit these cabinets so we ended up having to use one of the really small handles (I believe they are about 1.5 to 2") and they look like the Blankett handles or were made to compliment them (sorry I can't find these particular ones on the Ikea website right now so I don't know the exact name).  I do like these smaller handles and it is pretty discreet being at the very top of the door and right under the counter so it's not that noticeable, but it would have been nicer to have all the same handles especially since we also used the longer ones on the upper cabinets as well. 

ikea abstract white high gloss kitchen.  Benjamin moore cloud white

Now, on that note...I wish I had of used the smaller handles on the upper cabinets.  I don't mind the longer ones but I can see now how the shorter ones would have maybe been a little cleaner or sleeker looking and also added some interest with the change in hardware.  That's one thing I'm still learning: different is good, contrast is my friend.  Aesthetically speaking they would have been nicer but I also learned the hard way that they would have functioned better too since you need to be careful with what is beside each door and how it will open and whether the handle will hit anything.  I've always taken this into consideration with lower cabinets especially near corners and on drawers but I realized after installing the handle on the upper cabinet in between the fridge and stove, that whenever we open the door, the end of the handle (closest to the corner by the fridge) ended up scratching the fridge panel when opened all the way.  It wasn't a big deal since the cabinet door could still be opened wide enough without scratching it but a smaller handle would have been much better.  

ikea abstract white high gloss kitchen.  Benjamin moore cloud white

Aside from a few screw ups learning lessons I am still happy with the way things turned out and I still love the high end design you get from Ikea kitchens for the price.   I am currently planning a two-toned kitchen for another house using these same cabinets for the uppers and the Gnosjo cabinets for the lowers so be sure to check back in the next little while to see our progress.  We are also installing Marmara tile on a large scale fireplace....my boldest Kelly Wearstler move yet!  I'm so excited...and a little scared.  Okay a lot scared!  This is why there is wine onsite.  Until then, have a great weekend!

6 comments:

  1. Your Kitchen is beautiful. We are doing a laundry room in abstrakt high gloss gray rubik frosted glass, and we had the same problem with the longer blankett handles when we opened the wall cabinet (15"deep) on the side by a tall cabinet (24" deep.) we went with the two inch handle that comes with the Rubik door and then realized the finish is different (more of a brushed aluminum) than the longer blankett handles. Did you mix and match on the handles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JaneE,

      Thanks very much! We only ended up using the shorter handle on the one cabinet and the longer handles on the rest. I didn't realize we wouldn't have one of the blankett handles to fit that one cabinet until after the upper ones were installed, otherwise I would have added in more of the shorter ones so there was a better combination of both short and long. I don't recall the finish being too different but it might have been slightly because I'm certain the shorter one wasn't a part of the blankett series. I did see this combination used in their display kitchen and it looked fine but it's still frustrating that they don't make all of those longer handles to fit all sizes of their cabinets. Good luck with your laundry room! It sounds amazing.

      Delete
  2. Hi-

    Wondering about the fridge enclosure- the cabinet above matches so I'm sure it's from Ikea but what about the panels on the side of the fridge? How did that come together? Did you have to construct it yourself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, The panels are from Ikea as well. They sell the big panels to match all of their kitchen designs. We did have to cut them down a little as they are sold as 36" by 96" and then we just cut them down to match the depth of our fridge and the height we needed. In this particular kitchen our fridge was a little tight fitting so every time you opened one of the doors it would rub against one of the panels. I've done quite a few of these kitchens now so what I've done in other places is either cut the depth of the panels so they only come up to where the door starts or we add an extra panel up high in between the upper cabinet and side panel so there is a little more room added below. I think the easiest thing is to cut them only to come up to where you doors start if it's a tight fit. Let me know if you have anymore questions about it. I'm happy to help if I can. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. Great kitchen. I love ithe high gloss white. I'm doing almost the same thing however I have two 12 inch cabinets that I'm going to cut down two 15" blanket handles 1.5 inches on each end then sand the rough edges and use them so that it will all match all other handles. Fortunately I don't have and doors that open into my stainless steel or other appliances. In my former kitchen I screwed up by installing a ikea microwave beside a staniless refrig and it ended up scratched up by someone helping me clean up after a party. I couldn't get mad but I soooo sad. Lesson learned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gail! It's hard planning kitchens isn't it?! Very smart of you to cut down the handles. I never thought of that at the time but I will definitely remember that since I'm currently doing another kitchen and wanting to use the same handles. I was hoping for a blanket handle style in gold but they are very expensive from other shops and since Ikea is in my budget I am going to attempt to spray them gold. I'm not sure how well that is going to go over but I'm gonna give it a shot. I'm doing a combination of the walnut and white high gloss so I'll post it once I'm done and hopefully it'll have gold handles:)

      Delete